Overview: The Maldives is a by-word for luxury, romance and tropical bliss; a beautiful string of low-lying coral islands in the Indian Ocean, and a paradise for diving enthusiasts and sun seekers alike.
The country’s 26 natural atolls and over 1000 islands have uniformly perfect white sand beaches lapped by turquoise lagoons the temperature of bath water. Tourism only began in the 1970s, but it is now the Maldives’ most important industry.
- Population: approximately 400 thousand
- Capital city: Malé (population 133 thousand)
- Area: 298 square kilometers
- Currency: Maldivian Rufiyaa (MVR)
- Time zone: UTC + 5 (summer daylight saving not observed)
- Religion: Islam.